Monday, October 11, 2010

Budget Tip #1: Meal Planning

Our grocery budget for the month is $300.  That's it.  It comes out to about $10/day for meals for the both of us.  Not very much but we manage.  We try at least once a week to find a recipe that will last 2 days.

My first (and probably my most important tip) is:

PLAN FOR YOUR MEALS AHEAD OF TIME

Designate one day of the week to do all your shopping and planning for your meals.  I chose Saturday because that's when I know me and my husband will both be home.  We sit down and plan out our dinners for the week.  We start by writing down on paper each day of the upcoming week (see below) and assigning a meal to each day.  From time to time, I change which meal I make for which day, but I this just gives me a rough estimate of the meals I need to make.  

Example: 
Sunday- Pot Roast
Monday- Pot Roast leftovers
Tuesday- Baked Chicken
Wednesday- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Thursday- Philly Cheesesteaks
Friday- Eggs Rolls and Fried Rice
Saturday- Philly Cheesesteaks

Once you have your meals mapped out, post your meals on the fridge (or another highly noticeable area) and MAKE A LIST of things you need at the store! Write down all the ingredients that you need, plus everything else you may need for that week for breakfast and lunch.  Go through your house to see if you need milk, eggs, cheese, butter, fruit, etc.  

I write down everything I am buying at the store.  This eliminates those impulse buys or anything you don't really need.  Honestly, this keeps me so close to my budget because I know what I can spend and I don't veer from it.   On occasion, I see something that I forgot to write down that I need for a meal, but if it isn't on my meal list or isn't something I need for breakfast or lunches, I DON'T buy it.  

Any don't plan your meals WHILE shopping. That's when you get "emotional buying"- buying according to what emotion you are feeling at the time.  (If I did this, I would buy the entire store... I love food!) You tend to overbuy... no bueno! 

Well, that's my first tip. It takes some getting used to, but after a few weeks, you will develop a habit of doing this.  (Plus, it eliminates all those last-minute grocery trips--- yuck!) Try it this week and see if it works for you.