Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Books, Books, Books!

For as long as I can remember, I have always loved books.  When I was in elementary school, I longed for the days when the teacher would hand out the monthly Book Order packet so I could scan for the latest and greatest.  I still love books.  I walk into book stores and salivate over all the books with their freshly glued bindings and creaseless pages (ok, maybe that is a bit extreme... but you get the point).  

My love for the Harry Potter series has become quite an obsession... especially because the newest movie is coming out in a few weeks. In order to prepare myself for the movie, I have been listening to Harry Potter books on CDs during my 40 minute commute to work each day.  We checked them out from the local library and they keep me quite entertained at NO COST AT ALL! Libraries are absolutely wonderful but don't get enough credit. 

Reading books can even be a fun family event or great date.  Last weekend, my husband and I went to Barnes and Noble to just peruse and do something we don't normally do.  The great thing about these big book stores is that there is SOMETHING for everyone... magazines, kids books, how-to books, history, and the list goes on and on!

I feel like I experience somewhat of a "sticker shock" when I look to see how much some of these books cost.  I found this great book on how to use this computer program I love (Dreamweaver, in case you were wondering) and the book was nearly $50... not quite in my budget... for a BOOK!

But, I found an used older edition online at Amazon.com for $3.99.  Great deal! 

So lessons to be learned... 

1. Going to Barnes and Noble is a fun (and cheap) date or family outing!
2. Don't ever buy books for the full sticker price... check out used books online or shop the clearance aisles in bookstores.  If you shop at Borders or on borders.com, sign up for their weekly email.  They often offer a discount coupon on a weekly basis.  F.Y.I.- When looking at textbooks online, the prices tend to increase at the beginning of each semester... if you can hold off, wait until a couple weeks into the semester. 
3. Use the library! It's even cheaper than Amazon... it's free!